Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bali




Driving through Bali we passed countless terraced rice paddies, traveled through small towns, and passed rivers with locals bathing and swimming. Eventually we made it to the outskirts of the city where the home furnishing stores began. The craftsmanship and artistry of the Balinese is world renown. The style is irresistible. I love the dark wood, balanced colors, the carvings and the intricate fabric patterns. I admired the creativity in the designs such as the tables made out of tree roots, the giant inviting pillows, and the hanging lounge chairs.

Bali is a beautiful place. There is something for everyone on this small island. Couples can enjoy a private honeymoon, singles can retreat for creative inspiration. Friends can join for reunions and fun. The adventurer can dive, and hike, and surf their hearts out. It is a place for old and young. Any type of food you could imagine will be found in Bali, and at very good prices. This is just what Jess and I had been craving after traveling through the islands, eating only slight a variation of the same things over and over and over again. Including these ingredients rice, veggies, fish, oil and top ramen.

Jess and I stayed in Legion our first time in Bali. Our return trip we stayed in Kuta. Legion is known to be a quiet version of Kuta. While Kuta is the lively crazy tourist central. We enjoyed both with the small amount of time we had. I loved the variety of restaurants and the inexpensive menus. Jess and I drank fruit smoothies (avocado shakes) every day for less than a dollar each. By this time I had learned enough Indonesian to do a decent job bargaining at the shops. The Balinese really appreciated the effort I put into my bargaining. We had a San Diego friend who really helped me fine tune my offers. If you can imagine bargaining in Tijuana on Revolution St. You can imagine the bargaining here in Bali. They mark everything up by at least four times what could be paid. "Rule number 3, Divide by four" as our San Diego friend put it. Always keeping a big smile and amiable attitude really gave me an advantage. I only know around twenty words in Bahasa Indonesia ( Indo language) but by arranging and rearranging these words I put together a good bargaining language. So many shop keepers commented"wow you speak Indonesian so well!" ( I guess so when compared to many of the one week tourists ) There were a couple of women shopkeepers who I sat talking with for a long time and left feeling like I had made a life long friend with each of them.

We spent some time with new Swedish friends. At our goodbye breakfast we were a couple of Americans eating breakfast in Indonesia at a Mexican restaurant with four Swedes. I laughed at this blend of cultures.

The island is mostly Hindu. Every shop that I saw in Bali placed an offering outside of it's entrance each morning. Usually this was a small square basket made of palm leaf, containing rice a cracker or two some leaves and flowers. There is a prayer said with and sprinkle of water, then they set it down. From that point on they get stepped on and trampled, but once the prayer is said the job has been completed. There should always be one sale at the shop for the day, just for good luck.

I look forward to traveling back to Bali someday.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Just gone through your blog and glad to know that you had a great time in Bali. Expecting some more pictures from Bali and detour on your upcoming post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, this is fun to read. I love the photo of the terraces.

    ReplyDelete