Thursday, October 22, 2009

G-Land


There is such an abundance of beauty here on the Southeastern Corner of Java. It is only a short boat ride from Bali to this jungle paradise. We are in our last week of our two months in Indonesia and I am for the first time feeling my connection to this place and the beginning of sorrow for the time that we will leave. We have met some beautifully natured people and some kindred spirits this last leg our Indonesian journey. This has enabled me to connect all of our experiences and reflect upon them with these good feelings I have now. I have a clear view unjaded by previous discomforts.

We made a spontaneous choice to come to G-Land. One of those divinely timed, pack your bags now kind of decisions (and a good one it was!). I could stay here for a while. We are situated in the back of the Bobby's Surf Resort amidst giant bamboo clusters and away from the general bustle of the resort. But we are still close enough to the beach to wake at night and through the stillness hear the roar and the crashing of the waves across the reef. Every morning I hear my gecko alarm clock it usually starts to sing around 5:30, "Ge-kooo Ge-kooo." I wake up, walk out with a pillow to my golden hammock and see the morning light shooting through the bamboo canopy. Before too long I more than likely have walked down to the kitchen and poured a cup of coffee to sip in the hammock while turning pages of whichever book I am in the middle of. Besides book reading I am fully entertained by the jungle around me. Just this morning I saw a procession of monkeys emerge from the trees in a single file line jumping from bamboo branch to bamboo branch, into the forest of our camp. There were maybe thirty of them, male, female, youth and babies clinging to their mothers bellies. I hear the birds chirping, and some crying out a piercing song to one another. The camp dog, a golden retriever named Molly, has become a good friend of mine. She tags along as I walk to the beach or back to my room. Once the monkeys see her they all come out of the trees in order to yell and hiss and bear their teeth. But she still follows me regardless of the harrasment. In return I shower her with affection and food. She always has an amiable smile especially while showing off by chasing small sea animals through the tide pools.

Each day is over before I know it. Breaky lunch and dinner provide enough structure to let the time slip through the day like water from a glass, so smoothly, then one day into the next so that I can not distinguish which was which. Each day is so enjoyable.

We came here with our Swedish friend Fredrik who we had met in Sumba then saw again on our plane to Bali. He had also been to Rote earlier this trip just like us. The three of us travelled to the camp first in a large van from Legion (Bali) across land then onto a ferry (which I had completely forgotten about untill our return) then a few more hours by land, and finally onto another boat which took us straight to the resort. This sounds like a bit of a hassle but it was the easiest trip we have had in Indonesia. Everything was taken care of for us. We were like the kids in the back of the car with no worries. After getting to camp we settled into our budget rooms and kicked back.

A few days after our arrival an American guy joined us. It was his 40th trip to G-Land in the last 30 years. This poor guy was so sweet, but was taken away by the police after someone tipped them off that he was smoking stogies. There is a heavy sentence here for those caught with marijuana. "Punished by death" is what all of the signs say throughout the airports. This fellow has some good connections, hopefully that will be enough to get him out of the Indonesian justice system sooner than later. I just saw an Indonesian newspaper with his photo on the front, saying that he will have to serve 15 years. It is hard because the crime he committed is nothing big in our culture but here in Indo it has such devastating consequences. The whole situation really affected my heart, seeing this guy leave was like watching a dead man walking. The morning they took him, we'd checked the waves together and shared a pack of oreos and enjoyed a conversation, then a few hours later he was being forced away to the unknown, to a new very difficult sort of life.

It is funny how some people follow the same path but separately. Aside from Fred traveling to the same places we had in the same order, our second day here in G-Land we saw a couple from Canada who we had met in Rote, then missed in Sumba by a few days, they hit Bali then showed up here just like we had. It is interesting to see the patterns and meet the personalities of these travelers. Aside from having nearly fifteen thousand islands Indonesia is a small country when it comes to surf tourism. I think that Jess and I have covered a lot of ground while traveling here. We've done a good job taking the road less traveled by most first timers.

There is something about meeting people when you travel, where you bond on a different level than if you had met at home. There is an openness available, and a connection of shared experiences. Our orientation to G-Land introduced us to some wonderful friends, Rachel and Jeff, and Analiese and Chris. These Australian couples were so much fun, and such wonderful people. I hope to see them again in the future.

Yesterday I met a Hawaiian named Cora. We went surfing together down the road at tiger tracks with a few friends from camp. This was possibly the most amazing day of surfing I have ever had. We walked from the road and through the jungle on a hard packed earth trail speckled with little orange fallen flower. Once we hit sand we wound through the long white arms of the beach trees which had a canopy of bright green flat leaves. Then, looking out I saw the water, blue like glacial ice merging with cream colored sand bordering it. The sunlight poured out across the horizon creating a thousand sparkling diamonds. Each wave that would break looked like an avalanche of fresh snow. This place was a piece of paradise. As beautiful as anyone could imagine. Only our group was surfing that day, so we joked and laughed and shared the waves cheering each other on. As we left that afternoon, I did my best to take each sensation and memory from the day. I replayed them and savored them, I wrapped myself up in them breathing them into me. Carefully preserving the wealth of joy they had given me.

When we returned I found the boys watching nature take it's course as a snake had skillfully wound it's body around a gecko and was in the process of strangling it. The gecko had no chance. Ah, the circle of life. I actually heard the bones of the gecko crack as the snake tightened it's grip.....Cora came over and we took advantage of this rare opportunity to have a mini photo shoot.

Aside from from these photos, everyday I walk out onto the reef and shoot photos of Jesse and other surfers. It takes a bit of time walking out to take the photos, and my toes have become soar from bending to the contours of the reef. But there are always interesting creatures to observe and I definitely appreciate the exercise. The boys have had some awesomely gigantic waves and overall are really happy with the surf. The food is decent, actually more than that, it is really good and healthy. There is a nonstop flow of coffee ready to feed my habitual cravings, I do not resist. And I have been thinking about how amazing it is, how rich and flavorful is. Until just this morning I saw one of the staff refilling it with Nescafe, really Nescafe! I must be desperate or just fooling myself, but I really like it.

We only made a few trips outside of camp other than walking to the surf. A group of nine of us piled into the clunky jungle truck provide by the resort and took a trip to a local cave, temple, and animal feeding ground. The walk to the cave was much more exciting than the cave itself. The temple was fun to see and the feeding grounds had a peacock, a heard of deer, a pig, and hrmm, I think that was all. It was a fun day, and well worth going for. Another fun "cultural event" was shared one night when a instrumental group and four traditional dancers came to the resort. They performed then had everyone come out and dance with them four at a time. I think that everybody enjoyed this.

Well, we leave G-land soon, back to Bali for a few days, and then we will take four flights to Siargao. (weather permitting) Love to all!!! Jessica






Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment